Sunday, July 25, 2010

Making the world safe for UFOs

I am a fickle knitter. I admit this freely and make no apologies.

At any given time, there are at least four or five works in progress (WIPs) in my A-list basket. Several other barely started, half finished, and almost forgotten projects, also known as unfinished objects (UFOs), languish in B-list cedar chests, storage bins and boxes.

I can be fully engaged in a project one minute and be totally distracted by another pattern or yarn the next. If I walk by the A-list yarn bin and my eye falls on a beautiful silk-wool blend in ocean colors, I can have stitches on the needles in five minutes. It's not that I have forgotten the first project; I will get back to it. Eventually.

Many knitters do not engage in this kind of knitting polygamy. These knitters won't start another project until the current one is finished. This concept is foreign to me. Faced with the temptation of an infinite variety of luscious fibers in gorgeous colors, how can I be expected to remain faithful to a single project?

Not that I don't finish projects. I finish plenty of projects. So far this year, I have finished no fewer than 14 projects. Sure, I started a few more that are in various stages of completion. And, yes, there are several others in hibernation. I'm OK with that. I am, after all, the boss of my knitting and I can have as many WIPs and UFOs as I want.

As William Hurt said in The Big Chill, I'm not hung up on this completion thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment