Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Overhyped books are dead to me

Nothing kills a book for me faster than over-exposure. Same thing happens when I see a trailer for a movie or TV show 187 times before it even comes out. I don't just get sick of it; I get hostile. And if I see one more article, review, Amazon recommendation, or web pop-up ad about this book, I am going to declare a one-woman war on Sweden.

Not that I don't admire the talents of the late Stieg Larsson. I read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, the first book in the Millenium Trilogy, and found vivid characters, a tight plot, and plenty of suspense. I also found plenty of violence. Most of the time I saw it coming in time to skimreallyfast past it, but it slipped up on me a couple of times.

And it wasn't just violence; it was the T-word, and it is a known fact that I avoid  like the plague any TV show, movie, or book with even the faintest whiff of the T-word. 24? Prison Break? Not a fan.

I read that the second book in the trilogy was even more violent than the first, so I decided to pass. Now the third one is out and it's hotter than Baltimore in July. There might as well have been no other books published this summer. The only media topic hotter than this book is the burning question of who will play Lisbeth Salander, one of the the main characters, in the U.S. versions of the movies.

It has reached a level of over-exposure so pervasive and annoying that I wouldn't read it now even if I wasn't scared of it. You can't pick up a magazine, open a newspaper, or log on to a website without seeing it.

Apparently, you can't even read a blog without seeing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment