Saturday, August 21, 2010

Thinking outside the [fruit] bowl

I went nuts at one of two local Russian vegetable markets this morning. I spotted lemon plums and white peaches and decided to make a fruit salad.

To my environmentally correct canvas shopping bag, I added kiwi fruit, a mango, Mandarin oranges, limes, and a guava. I also got poblano and jalapeno peppers.

A trip to my favorite farm stand yielded tomatoes, cucumbers, orange and purple (!) sweet peppers, and corn.

At home, I began to peel and chop the fruit. The only non-starter was the guava. What's with the seeds? Is it like a pomegranate and you're supposed to eat them? I don't care for seeds in my food, so I carved out a few chunks, diced them up, and moved on. I squeezed in some lime juice and started to think about that jalapeno. I Googled "Mexican fruit salad" for inspiration, then minced the jalapeno and added about a half-teaspoon, along with diced cucumber and tomato.

Then came the boldest move yet (for me, anyway). After some deliberation, I added about a half-teaspoon of chile powder and some lime fresco salt from SaltWorks. I believe this will be totally swell for dessert following tostada salad and avocado-cucumber soup.

If not, I'll just set it out on the table and admire it.

No comments:

Post a Comment