Sunday, September 12, 2010

The best time of the year for readers

Fall usually brings out the best of the year's books, and my Amazon Wish List is packed with new releases coming out just about every week over the next three months.

As usual, there is the big blockbuster novel that threatens to land on my Overhyped List. I'll give Freedom by Jonathan Franzen a pass, since the book probably delivers the goods. It's not really my cup of tea, but it appears to be worthy of all the praise it's getting. Although, that has backfired on Franzen in the past, as he discussed in a recent NPR interview.

My wish list has more variety than usual, although mysteries dominate. Here's what I'm looking forward to reading this fall:

The Widower's Tale, Julia Glass (audio version already downloaded to the iTouch)
Impartial Witness, Charles Todd (a new Bess Crawford mystery set in WWI, already in progress on the Kindle)
The Distant Hours, Kate Morton (The House at Riverton was one of my favorite books a couple of years ago)
Autobiography of Mark Twain, Volume 1 (this will be a huge best-seller, after a 100-year wait)
A Stranger in Mayfair, Charles Finch (a Charles Lenox mystery, which are usually great fun)
Fall of Giants, Ken Follett (this will be a door-stop of a book, so it may not make the cut; looks interesting, though)
Aran Knitting, Alice Starmore (got to have at least one knitting book, and this is a back-in-print classic)
Road to Darjeeling, Deanna Rayburn (a total guilty pleasure; I fairly swooned over the last book in the Lady Julia Grey series)
Portobello, Ruth Rendell (a new Ruth Rendell is always worth checking out)

So there you have it. Looks like I have my reading cut out for me for the foreseeable future. 

1 comment:

  1. You almost have us convinced, especially the Mr., to acquire an e-reader. I am still find old fashioned pleasure in flipping a page, each one giving tangible evidence to the progress being made, but can see e-readers in our future.

    ReplyDelete