Sunday, September 19, 2010

In praise of the Honey Crisp

Autumn is my favorite time of year. I love the chill in the morning air, the clear blue sky and the gold leaves beginning to appear in the trees. After the dreadful heat and humidity of this summer, I love all those things even more this year.

I'm also ready for a culinary change in season. As much as I've enjoyed tomatoes, cucumbers and other summer staples, I'm ready to move on to fall food. I've already made a big batch of roasted Brussels sprouts, golden beets and carrots.

Today, however, I am all about one of the fleeting joys of fall: the Honey Crisp apple. Like asparagus in the spring, Honey Crisps are highly seasonal here in Maryland. Not every supermarket has them (I've found them at Wegmans and Fresh Market, no big surprise), but they are worth tracking down.

In general, I am not a huge fan of the apple. I think I like the idea of apples more than the actual eating of them. For one thing, I am extremely picky about the taste (tart) and texture (granite hard). Then there's the whole peel and core thing to contend with.

The Honey Crisp overcomes all obstacles. For my money, it is the Super Apple. The flavor is exquisitely sweet-tart and the texture is even more crisp than Granny Smiths. I have laid in a small supply and am looking forward to having them for dessert with a small wedge of Grandma Singleton's Apple Pie Cheese.

That's right: Apple Pie Cheese. I found it yesterday at Wegmans, home of unique and tasty items for the dedicated foodie. I happened to notice it displayed with the bread, which seemed a little random to me. I would have put it with the Honey Crisps, but what do I know about food merchandising? Anyway, I found it and I believe it will make a dandy accompaniment to a few wedges of apple.

Cool temps, blue skies and Honey Crisp apples. My favorite time of year is here.

1 comment:

  1. There was an article in the Washington Post a while back about apples and the fact that they have been so genetically altered to look "pretty" that do not not taste like apples any more. On the bright side, Wegmans is scheduled to open in Columbia in 2012!!!

    YPIC

    ReplyDelete