Saturday, September 25, 2010

More cool weather cooking

It's too soon to tell if daily temps above 90 degrees are behind us, but I'm ready for some fall food.

This weekend, "fall food" means pork and beans. Not to be confused with Bush's Pork-N-Beans, my version consists of Ancho Pork Medallions and a pot of Cuban-style black beans slow cooked with tomatoes and roasted poblano peppers.

Veering sideways a little from the Latin theme, I will also cook up a pot of mixed greens: mustard, turnip and kale sauteed in a little hot chili oil, simmered until nice and tender, then dressed with apple cider vinegar. If I'm feeling fancy, I'll use balsamic vinegar.

I'm busy lining up more fall recipes for the cooler days ahead. I've already flagged half a dozen hearty soup recipes that I couldn't even look at over the scorching summer. Butternut Squash with Apples and Cider Cream and White Bean with Chorizo and Kale from Sunday Soup are just two that sound great.

I will also keep a dish of roasted vegetables (Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, carrots, etc.) in the fridge for after-work snacking. They are so much better for my so-called waistline than chips and salsa.

Roast pork, hearty bean soups, butternut squash: more reasons to love this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment