Sunday, October 17, 2010

The e-book question


In July, Amazon.com reported that, for the first time, sales of e-books for the Kindle topped sales of hard cover books.

In the past few months, makers of e-readers have pulled off an impressive hat trick: more models, better technology and lower prices.

There are now Nook bars at Barnes & Noble stores so you can try before you buy. Amazon offers multiple Kindle models at various sizes and price points. The Apple iPad combines an e-reader with many other cool functions, albeit at a significantly higher price.

All this e-reader proliferation has a lot of my friends debating the e-book v. printed book issue. In discussing the pros and cons of each, the biggest question seems to be this: Can an electronic device replace the satisfaction of holding a book in one's hands, turning the pages, maybe sniffing a little ink?

When I ordered my Kindle a few months ago, this concern did not occur to me. My primary motivation in going Kindle was to cut down on the number of books I bring into my home. The situation was out of control. To make room for new volumes, I lugged books to The Book Thing, a worthy concept that, unfortunately, involved a long drive to a sketchy neighborhood. I toted books into the library and ran like hell before the librarians could tell me to take them back. I took books to work and set them out with a FREE sign.

When all this purging started to cut too deep into the literary bone, I started thinking about the Kindle as a way to add to my library without overcrowding my bookshelves. After long consideration, I took the leap and never looked back. But, like the transition from CD player to iPod or land line to cell phone, moving from printed books to e-books is a personal journey that some will make faster than others.

In my own journey, I discovered that holding a book in my hands and turning paper pages doesn't enhance the reading experience. For me, reading is not about the book; it's about the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment