Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The culinary verdict is in


If you drew a face on this fennel, you could cast it in a John Waters movie. Seriously, is this an awesome beehive, or what?

I think I learned something about fennel this week. The bulb I bought was larger than the ones I've bought before, and the anise flavor was much more intense. Too intense for me. I like fennel if the flavor is subtle, but this was over the top. I will shop for a smaller bulb next time to put this theory to the test.

As for the weekend's culinary efforts, I made three out of the four planned dishes (saved Creamy Celery Soup for later). Of those, the Cucumber Soup with Smoked Salmon and Dill is a sure-fire keeper and the two salads probably won't make a repeat appearance.

The Quinoa-Couscous Tabouli had great flavors, but I have to give it up and accept that I am not crazy about quinoa. It has this squiggle in the grain that is just weird. The Beet, Orange & Fennel salad was pretty good, but somehow the ingredients didn't work together well enough to justify the fairly labor-intensive recipe. The too-intense flavor of the fennel, previously noted, didn't help.

But that cucumber soup...mmmm, good. Now there's a combination that worked: the earthy smoked salmon, cool cucumber, and pungent dill. I confess that I had never bought smoked salmon, although I've had it in restaurants. Wow. Trader Joe's smoked sockeye: I think I'm in love.

I also learned that you don't always need dairy products to make a soup thick and creamy if you throw in a diced Russet potato. I realized later that I left out the creme fraiche called for in the recipe, but I didn't miss it at all.

I wonder what else I can do with smoked salmon?

1 comment:

  1. If we are going vegetarian, check out the recipe for Asiago and Corn Risotto in the Washington Post Food section today. Sounds yummy, but where does one find carrot juice??? The Giant? Oh please.....

    YPIC

    ReplyDelete